Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Epic: Grand - Initial trouble

After getting the Grand Cherokee I'd wanted for the the right price I was happy. I drove the Jeep for about 6 months, did a few minor things as far as maintenance and it did very well for me and my family. Still a little rough around the edges but overall wasn't too bad.

That's when things started getting iffy. The motor developed an oiling problem. Shot a quick video of the motor running to send to a buddy who is a Jeep Technician to get his thoughts. Here are some notes from that day:

"I was driving home and about half way home I realized the oil pressure was low. When I got stuck in traffic it would drop to zero...then slowly climb back up. It did this a few times. I get home and to start figuring it out I start simple. I pulled the dipstick tube to check the oil level. I checked it this last week-end and knew it was good but I figured WTF, I gotta start somewhere. So I pull it, wipe it off and go to put it back in and it wont go. Stops about 6" short from being fully in. I messed with it for a good 15-20 minutes and finally say screw it, I'll pull the tube out of the block to see [what] is going on. The dip stick tube has 1 bolt and then an o-ring and uses pressure to keep it in. I pull the bolt out and the damn thing just wont pull out. I wrestle with it for about 30 minutes and finally...it breaks. Not breaks free mind you, breaks off right above when it goes into the block....So I stop, [my wife] got home soon after with Dinner. We eat, I clean up and I an just trying to wrap my head around [what] is going on. Eventually I decide to try and cap off the hole and start the Jeep up to continue diagnosing the oil pressure problem. The left over bits are too jagged to spend a short time cleaning up to plug it so I just put a pan under it to catch any oil. Doesn't matter anyhow, there wasn't any pressure pushing oil out. So I fire it up and it's got a clacking noise now. It stumbles and dies. I fired it back up and took the video that is attached here.

Something internal in the motor is dead or dying. I think it's a rod bearing which means the motor is SCREWED and would need a rebuild. Now the biggest question is, is the entire Jeep worth repairing? The Transmission slipped a couple times last week (who knows wtf is wrong there), the A/C still needs to be fixed, the headliner is trashed, the front door panels need to be replaced, one headlight and turn signal assembly needs to be replaced, the panel the headlight attach to needs to be replaced, the driver's seat motors need to be replaced and the passenger rear window doesn't roll down anymore."






My friend end I end up deciding it was a bad lifter or two internally. I elect to tear down the motor...

No comments:

Post a Comment